2057NG – New Graduate – Emergency Techniques (September 2024)
16th September 2024, Studley, Warwickshire
To reserve your place for 7 days whilst you arrange payment or check your commitments click here
As a new graduate veterinary surgeon, you can be faced with emergency patients at any time. These can be complex cases, and the life-threatening nature of the situation only adds extra pressure. You may need to make immediate decisions, without the time to consult a textbook or ask a colleague for advice.
This small group practical attendance course will to help build your confidence and proficiency in diagnostic and therapeutic emergency techniques that are considered ‘day 1’ skills in small animal practice. Lecture notes and videos provide you with a step-by-step ‘how to’ guide for each of the procedures covered. Your essential theory is complemented by a full day of practical sessions at the training centre, where you will have the opportunity to perform all of the techniques and to ask any questions, or discuss specific concerns that you may have encountered with emergency patients in practice.
Ultimately, this course will increase your confidence in dealing with emergency cases in the early stages of your career and decrease any anxiety surrounding these.
What you’ll learn:
- Techniques for point of care ultrasound of the thorax and abdomen, and interpretation of your results to guide stabilisation of your patient
- Performing thoracic drainage via needle thoracocentesis or chest drain placement, and deciding which approach is appropriate for your patient
- Obtaining a sample of abdominal fluid and interpreting results in-house to decide whether a patient needs emergency surgery
- Achieving airway control in an emergency situation
- Performing emergency pericardiocentesis in patients with life-threatening cardiac tamponade
- Complete your learning and get your CPD Certificate for 15 Hours of CPD.
Course Tutor: Emily Thomas BA VetMB FHEA DACVECC DECVECC MRCVS
You’ll need to complete the online learning for this course before the practical session. This is so that you are familiar with the theory and the techniques that you’ll be carrying out in the practical sessions. We’ve found that delegates get much more from the practical sessions with this format, and you will also have more time for hands-on practice. We’ll email you access details for your online resources several weeks prior to your attendance session date.
If you would prefer to reserve your place for 7 days whilst you arrange payment or check your commitments then click here