2071 – Soft Tissue Surgery Refresher (October 2024)
16th, 17th & 18th October 2024, Studley, Warwickshire
You need a broad surgical skill set to manage the range of cases you’ll see in small animal practice. Whether you’re carrying out a surgical intervention for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes, you need a sound understanding of basic surgical principles and the ability to perform an array of surgical techniques effectively.
Whether you are a recent graduate or you’re returning to small animal practice after some time away, this three day course will enhance your confidence and ability when performing a range of surgical procedures including suturing, wound management and the surgical management of common abdominal diseases focusing on the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts.
What you’ll learn:
- Review of the commonly used suture materials, suture patterns and knots – which ones to use where and when
- Simple surgical site closure techniques
- How to perform effective open wound management
- How to place tubes and drains (including oesophagostomy tubes and pleural drains)
- How to perform a thorough and rewarding exploratory lapatotomy and tips and tricks for ovariohysterectomy
- Urinary tract obstruction; your guide to patient stabilization and definitive surgical management
- How to unblock the most persistent of urethral obstructions
- How to perform an intestinal biopsy, enterotomy and enterectomy safely and effectively
- Septic peritonitis; a guide to patient stabilization and surgical management
- Gastric dilatation and volvulus; your guide to patient stabilization and surgical management
- How to perform an incisional gastropexy
- How to carry out a splenectomy
- Essential practical tips for the best outcomes
- Extensive practical sessions to develop your skills and confidence with hands-on help
After the essential theory, you’ll practise the surgical techniques in small group, practical wet-lab sessions. Discuss specific queries or concerns with expert and approachable tutors and leave the course with the confidence and skills that you need for general soft tissue surgery in today’s small animal practice.
Course Tutor: Faye Swinbourne BVM&S MVetMed DipECVS MRCVS
Delegates attending this course will also receive a course bonus –
12 months Free access to Small Animal Practice Webinar Club
12 months Free access to Alison Moores GP Refresh – Surgery mini series
This is a fantastic offer and a brilliant saving of £1,047+VAT for the free online courses.
This course is kindly sponsored by Veterinary Instrumentation
Course Feedback :
“An amazing experience. I learned a lot that I can use in practice. The tutor was very experienced, accessible and nice. Everybody was incredibly friendly. I’d recommend it to every young vet. It’s a great experience in professionally and personal growth.”
“Very small group beneficial, brilliant tutor with patience of a saint, all my questions were answered. Very interactive and hands on.”
“Very good, practical course, felt I learnt a lot and also interesting and enjoyable. Highly recommended. Well organised, good content, practical, small group, good learning environment. Faye was very patient and explained things well.”
“The course was really practical and now I feel more confident with my procedures. Strongly recommend. You can improve your surgical skills in nice and professional environment.“