MS072S – Consultation Skills for Vets Mini Series
£447.00 (+VAT)Call now to reserve your place 0151 328 0444
- Join Onswitch’s Alison Lambert for three 2-hour sessions.
- Get all the help you need to make your consults the best they can be!
- Ask all the questions you like
- Comprehensive notes to download
- Self-assessment quiz to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- This Mini Series was originally broadcast in September-October 2014
Improve Your Consult Skills and Improve the Outlook for Both Your Patients and Your Business
Effective communication is critical in veterinary practice – if your clients don’t understand and engage with your recommendations, not only will treatment compliance levels be low (ultimately affecting patient outcomes) but also, your clients won’t trust that your practice is the best choice for their beloved pet or horse.
In this session we will explore client expectations – in the context of the wider world, today’s consumers have higher standards, greater choice and a lower tolerance for poor service. Participants will learn some basic principles of communication, including the role of verbal versus non-verbal communication, along with how the effective receipt of a message differs according to the state of mind and circumstances of the client (frustrated / worried / angry / grateful owners require different approaches). We’ll also look at examples from industry and other service sectors.
- Understanding how to communicate effectively with owners in a range of different situations
- Making the link between more effective communication and improved patient outcomes
- Identifying where better communication will deliver positive financial benefits for the practice
The ‘7 Steps’ to Better Consults
In this session we will look at the Calgary-Cambridge communication model used in UK medical schools, and on which the ‘7 steps’ consultation skills model is based. Whatever your natural style, great consult communication can be learned, and the ‘7 steps’ model is a proven way to improve both business and patient outcomes with a simple process. Using this model, clinicians will find that even difficult consults with tricky clients can be managed effectively and efficiently.
- Understanding how to use the seven steps in daily working life
- Acquiring practical skills and techniques to get the most out of clients in the limited time available in the consult room
- Being able to identify examples of both good and bad communication behaviours in colleagues, and give feedback accordingly
Keeping Standards High with Consistently Excellent Consult Skills
Once you have learned how to communicate effectively and optimise the consult experience, it’s vital that you continue to provide the same great service to every client, every day. It’s easy to slip into bad habits, or to forget new ones, and so clinicians must review their performance regularly and make any refinements as required. We never stop learning, and we must never feel that learning new skills stops once the course is over – personal development is a continual process.
In this session we will explore some useful methods of assessing performance and measuring progress towards personal goals. These include:
- Individual review – both informally by yourself, and formally with your manager as part of an appraisal or development review
- Peer / group reviews. Team meetings or training days are great places to share learnings and give feedback
- Audio-visual assessment. Filming consults and watching them back is a very effective way to gain real insight into performance
- Consult index. A new quantitative tool to benchmark performance
- Making time for regular progress reviews
- Setting goals and SMART objectives for yourself
- Understanding the importance of seeking honest feedback from colleagues (as well as giving it back in return)
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT
Click here to add to cart