MS201S – Emerging Small Animal Infectious Diseases
Join EBVS® European Veterinary Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine Andre Kortum for three 2-hour sessions. Includes 12 months access to all of your course materials.
- Join Andre Kortum BVSc MANZCVS(SAM) DipECVIM-CA MRCVS for three 2-hour online sessions
- This 3-part webinar series will explore some of the current emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases in the UK, along with a selection of more “exotic” diseases which may need to be considered as potential diseases of the future. With increasing travel of both pets and humans, the question of “foreign travel” has never been a more important aspect of clinical history taking. This series aims to both bring practitioners up to speed with currently emerging and re-emerging diseases within the UK, but also increase their awareness of some of the weird and wonderful foreign diseases which could start appearing in their consult rooms.
Using case examples, each webinar will look at a number of topical diseases which might be encountered in both first opinion or referral practice, highlighting aspects of the clinical presentation, diagnosis and treatment essential for the quick recognition and appropriate management of these cases. We will also cover the current conditions and requirements for pet travel into and from the UK and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these regulations in preventing the influx of diseases currently endemic in other countries.
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points (and in case you miss a live session!)
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the live events or the recordings on your iPad!
Session 1: Wednesday 24th July 2019 2pm-4pm (UK time)
Re-emerging Infectious Diseases in the UK
What you’ll learn:
- Defining “emerging” and “re-emerging” diseases – how common are they?
- Novel disease presentations – are we underestimating the important of infectious disease? Using a case example of a challenging case of liver disease we will explore whether infectious agents might be playing a more important role than we think?
- Discussion of other topical infectious diseases in the UK which are increasingly diagnosed, including where they come from, how to recognise and diagnose them, recommended treatment options and best strategies for prevention.
Pet Travel and Emerging diseases: “Expecting the unexpected”
What you’ll learn:
- Discussion of the PETS scheme and the risks associated with increasing pet travel
- Introduction to rabies and Echinococcus multilocularis – what are they and what’s all the fuss about?
- An overview of some of the emerging diseases starting to appear in the UK that should be included on the differential list – Leishmania, Babesia and Ehrlichia
Diseases of the future: “The calm before the storm”?
What you’ll learn:
- A discussion of some of the currently “exotic diseases”, such as heartworm, fungal diseases and Spirocerca lupi and whether they could become diseases of the future in the UK
- Heartworm – how does it cause disease and how to diagnose and treat it
- An overview of other unusual infectious diseases to be aware of, including Spirocerca lupi and fungal diseases, using case examples and highlighting important aspects of diagnosis and treatment
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT