MS213 – When Nutrition is part of the medical management
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
- Join Florence Vessieres, DMV, DACVIM SAIM, dipECVIM (CA), MRCVS for three 2-hour online sessions
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the recordings on your iPad!
- This Mini-series will cover dietary management of several medical conditions, focusing on clinically relevant points and evidence behind dietary recommendation.
The prevalence of obesity is on the rise in cats and dogs. This disease leads to reduction of life expectancy and quality of life of our patients. This session will review what is currently known and clinically relevant about obesity in pets, including the pathophysiology and most recent research findings. We will also discuss communication tools which will help you bring clients through an effective weight management journey for their pets. Finally, we will explore dietary management of overweight pets, with a focus on diet choice and long-term management.
With the rise of modern diagnostic imaging and newly discovered biomarkers, liver and kidney diseases are diagnosed earlier than they used to. This is an opportunity for veterinarians to slow down these processes and prolong our patients’ quality of life. Advanced specialised nutrition is a corner stone in the management of conditions such as feline chronic kidney disease or canine copper-associated hepatopathy. We will review the evidence behind diet recommendations in the management of these conditions.
Chronic gastrointestinal signs are often debilitating for our patients, as well as frustrating for veterinarians and pet owners. We will discuss a structured and simple approach for the diagnosis of chronic gastrointestinal signs in cats and dogs. We will also review the evidence behind different diet options including single-protein source, hydrolysed and grain-free diets, as well as high fibre and highly digestible diets.
Obesity management – strategies and challenges
What you’ll learn:
- Obesity is a disease – what causes it?
- How to prevent obesity?
- This patient is overweight – how do I break the news?
- The pet owner has agreed to engage into a weight loss programme – what’s next?
- How do I monitor weight loss progress?
- Weight loss has been achieved – how to maintain it?
The evidence behind dietary management of kidney and liver diseases
What you’ll learn:
- What is in a kidney diet?
- My patient is azotaemic – do I recommend a kidney diet?
- When and how to recommend diet change in cases of feline chronic kidney disease?
- What is in a liver diet?
- My patient has elevated liver enzyme activity – Do I recommend a liver diet?
- When and how to recommend diet change in cases of porto-systemic shunt?
- When and how to recommend diet change in cases of copper-associated hepatopathy?
Dietary management of chronic gastrointestinal signs
What you’ll learn:
- My patient has chronic gastrointestinal signs – when do I recommend a diet change?
- Is it an adverse food reaction? How to prove it?
- What are the diet options available, and what is the evidence behind these diets (including hydrolysed, single-protein source, high fibre, highly digestible and grain-free diets)?
- Diet has not helped – what do I do?
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
Course Feedback :
“Brilliant to work through the calculations for weight change. I will be using this regularly in practice!”
“What I found most useful was; how to come up with a weight loss program and all the updated information about special diet.”
“My advise regarding weight loss will now be precise after doing this course!”