MS230 – Building and Supporting Mindful Resilience in Veterinary Practice
Join Chartered Psychologist Susan Dawson for three 2-hour sessions. Includes 12 months access to all of your course materials.
Whilst compassion is at the heart of veterinary practice, too often this does not extend to self-compassion. Current research demonstrates how mindful self-compassion can build resilience, reduce compassion fatigue and prevent burnout; this is particularly relevant to veterinary professionals given how intellectually, physically and emotionally demanding the cost of caring can be on personal wellbeing. The Dalai Lama reflects, “For someone to develop genuine compassion towards others, first he or she must have a basis upon which to cultivate compassion, and that basis is the ability to connect to one’s own feelings and to care for one’s own welfare. . . caring for others requires caring for oneself.”
- Join Susan Dawson for three 2-hour online sessions
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- A whole year’s access to recorded sessions for reviewing key points
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the recordings on your iPad!
Understanding and fostering compassion
In the first session of this mini-series the importance of compassion within self-care will be introduced, along with an exploration of the two psychologies of compassion. The three emotion regulation systems identified in Neuroscience will be explained identifying their evolutionary origin. How thoughts and images can activate our threat mind will be discussed, using case study examples.
- Identify why compassion and self-care are important
- Exploration of the two psychologies of compassion
- Understanding the three emotion systems
- How our thoughts and images affect our wellbeing
Developing mindful self-compassion and resilience
The second session is focused on developing practical self-compassion skills aimed at building resilience, e.g. paying mindful attention, soothing rhythm breathing, accepting negative experiences and emotions and development of our compassionate self (through Compassionate Mind Skills).
- How compassionate self-care nurtures resilience
- Mindful attention and soothing rhythm breathing
- Accepting negative experiences and emotions
- Compassionate imagery; developing our compassionate self
Creating a culture of compassion in practice
The concluding session offers strategies for developing a culture of compassion in the workplace, including compassionate problem solving. The Compassionate Workplace Toolkit will be introduced, along with discussion of business and personal wellbeing benefits.
- Connecting with our personal values
- Compassionate self-dialogue and problem solving
- Signposting the Compassionate Workplace Toolkit
- Wellbeing and business benefits of compassion
Pay just £397 + VAT per Practice.
This allows access for up to 10 Vets or Vet Nurses from the Practice.
An equivalent rate as low as £39.70 + VAT for 8 hours of CPD per person.
Upon course purchase you will be directed to a form to enrol up to 10 people from a single practice.
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
Overseas customers will be charged VAT. However we will refund the VAT to you within 3 working days.
Course Feedback :
“I think more than ever we need to be learning and practising this sort of thing in our every day lifes.”
“Some of the concepts of self care and compassion on a practice level will prove useful in every day work life.”
“Very thorough and comprehensive courses. The course notes are a great addition too.”
If you would prefer to reserve your place for 7 days whilst you arrange payment or check your commitments then click here