MS247 – GP Refresh- Pain Management
Join Dr Sandra Sanchis Mora for 12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
- Join Sandra Sanchis Mora, Lda Vet, MVetMed, PhD, Dip ECVAA, FHEA, MRCVS for three 2-hour online sessions
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- 12 months access to recordings and course materials is included
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- Watch the recordings on your iPad!
Pain Assessment, What is new?
The first seminar will discuss what are the 3 dimensions of pain (sensory, emotional and cognitive) and why this is important for pain assessment in dogs and cats following with the pathophysiology of acute and chronic pain.
Secondly, we will talk about the principles and methods for pain assessment and compared the new pain scales published in last few years to the ones you already know. Chronic pain questionnaires will be also included in this session and there will be clinical cases to evaluate pain.
What you’ll learn:
- Pathophysiology of pain and the consequences of not assessing and treating properly
- Basic principles of pain assessment
- New and old tools to assess acute and chronic pain
- Apply these methods successfully
Analgesics and the correct way of using them, an update on perioperative pain management
This seminar will continue with the treatments available for perioperative pain. What is the evidence of the drugs we have been using for acute perioperative pain in dogs and cats? We will discuss the use of tramadol, lidocaine, ketamine and alpha-2 and its application indifferent case scenarios
Following that, a review of some of the new drug discoveries such as long-lasting buprenorphine, and bupivacaine. The seminar will continue with a review of new tecniques for local regional anaesthesia and the use of the ultrasound versus the nerve stimulator. Can you use these techniques for your routine cases? We will see some case examples of the application of locoregional anaesthesia techniques that can change your pain management strategy.
What you’ll learn:
- Review of the pharmacology of the most used drugs for perioperative pain (NSAIDs, Opioids, Ketamine, Lidocaine, Alpha-2)
- New evidence of Tramadol, Gabapentin for the treatment of perioperative pain and other new drug therapies
- Review of the most common loco-regional techniques in practice and new techniques accessible these days.
Chronic Pain: Is there anything else I can do?
New drugs have emerged for the treatment of chronic pain; however, do we know enough about how they work and what is the clinical evidence, side effects? In this session we will review the different options for chronic pain treatment, focussed on osteoarthritis and neuropathic pain and how practitioners can combine the different drugs and modalities to get the best results.
The second part of the seminar will discuss how practitioners can build their experience on the management of chronic pain, and what a multidisciplinary pain management clinic could do to help their patients. In this section, different treatment modalities would be reviewed (pharmacological, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, and acupuncture) with clinical examples in which these modalities have been applied.
What you’ll learn:
- Clinical pharmacology and evidence of grapiprant, tramadol, cannabinoids, gabapentin and antiNGF monoclonal antibodies
- Multimodal approach to treating osteoarthritis and neuropathic pain (gold standard and complimentary treatments)
- The role of a Pain Clinic in the treatment of chronic pain
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
Overseas customers will be charged VAT. However we will refund the VAT to you within 3 working days.